xfce4-menueditor-1.0pre1

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at castor.be
Mon Jan 26 16:27:55 CET 2004

Le lun 26/01/2004 à 16:08, Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
>
> > I've released v1.0pre1 of the menueditor.
> [...]
> > Donwload it here: http://users.skynet.be/p0llux/
>
> i suppose this email is a bit old since i see 1.0rc3 up there now.
> anyway, just downloaded and installed, looks cool.

it's because the smtp server i use had several problems (didn't deliver
mails) so i resend some mails without checking validity, sorry.

> within the next week or so xfdesktop cvs will be able to to put icons
> on menu items with the <app> tag and the <builtin> tag (atribute is
> 'icon="file.png"') (btw, danny, i fixed the crash bug that appears on
> some submenu popups).  presumably you should be able to put icons on
> <menu> elements as well, but that isn't currently possible with how
> GtkItemFactory works (grr).  support for menu icons in the editor would
> be great.

yes, it's planned since the patch was submitted to the mailing-list but
in 1.1 branch

> after i finish the icon stuff, i'm planning on rewriting the menu parser
> to use glib's GMarkup xml parser rather than libxml.  unfortunately,
> GMarkup's xml subset doesn't support user-specified xml entities, so the
> "&menu2;" menu inclusion method will break.  in my private tree i've
> added another element type, <include>.  right now it has 2 possible
> attributes.  i suppose an example is the most illustrative:
> <include type="file" src="menu2.xml" />
> <include type="system" />
> the "file" type either points to an absolute path or a path interpreted
> as relative to ~/.xfce4.  the file it points to is expected to be a
> fully-validating xfdesktop-menu file (it is parsed as its own entity).
> the "system" type represents the inclusion of a set of autogenerated
> app menus from .desktop files found on the user's HD.  with support for
> this in the menu editor it makes it easy for the user to decide if
> he/she wants the autogenerated menu or just a custom one that they put
> together.  the default menu file distributed will of course include the
> system menu.  comments?  suggestions?

Jasper told me about the <include> tag. Thanks for details, also planned
for 1.1

> just for example, for icons:
> <app name="Calculator" cmd="calc" term="no" icon="calculator.png" />
> (nb: the icon path search method is rather complicated and still needs
> tweaking, but suffice to say it looks in several well-known locations,
> including some paths that depend on the xfce4-panel icon theme.  it's
> also possible to specify an absolute path for the icon, of course.
> eventually it might be useful to move the icon-finding code into
> libxfce4util as xfce4_find_system_icon() or somesuch.)

could be easier for everyone