icons for Settings Manager

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at echobase.homeunix.net
Wed Jan 14 19:20:51 CET 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> I like that idea: simple and smart. Plus the mime-icons module does not
> depend on dbh (that's just for the libxfce4_combo). We can either add
> the libxml2 dependency or remove the dependency from the icons modules
> by using glib xml routines (as Benny and Olivier once suggested). I'll
> try doing that tonite.

Glib XML Parser is a light-weight SAX-style parser which should be quite ok
for our needs. I thought of letting mime-things be handled by a daemon process
and having a small communication library for setting up a fast UD socket and
retrieving the information from the daemon. This approach has some advantages,
just to name 2 of them (while it has some disadvantages of course):

1) Mime config/icon files can be held/cached in memory in the daemon process
and need not to be parsed whenever information is required, that should lower
the I/O overhead and allow for faster operation (depending on the quality of
the UD socket implementation in the target system)

2) Processes load only a thin wrapper library with only the socket code.

Using SYSV shm and IPC techniques could allow us to speed up the stuff even
more, for example transferring pixbufs between processes using shm segments.

But this was just a thought I had last year while I was looking for an easy
and efficient way to bring MIME to XFce. Any comments to this?

> Edscott

regards,
Benedikt

--