mcs: list as value; dbh: mini-intro, automake

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jan 6 13:59:55 CET 2004

Op di 06-01-2004, om 13:38 schreef Danny Milosavljevic:
> Am Die, den 06.01.2004 schrieb Jasper Huijsmans um 13:27:
> > Op di 06-01-2004, om 13:07 schreef Danny Milosavljevic:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > In my ongoing quest of breaking the mixer, I need some helppp :)
> > >
> > > Firstly, I want to store a list of "useful controls" per mixer device in
> > > mcs. The gui part is already in HEAD, have a look and you will
> > > understand.
> > > I know how to store single values, but how to store a list ?
> >
> > Use a string, e.g. "1:2:23:23456".
>
> hehe, thats hacky, what if a vc driver uses ":" in a vcname in the
> future ^^

I'm sure you can come up with a suitable separator. I suggest
'@#$%^&' ;-)

> but ok
>
> Any conventions/limitations about the name string?
> or is using "Sound/Mixer/Useful/<device-string>" = "1:2:23:23456"
> ok ? Note that device-string may contain slashes...

Well, you will be creating your own channel (say, 'xfce_mixer'), so you
don't need too much namespacing in your properties. I don't know about
limitations, but I suppose it is limited by the length of X client
messages. Not that I know what that is ...

> I'd want it for one nitpicky thing: if the user unchecks the control
> used in the panel plugin as "unneeded" in mcs, then the panel plugin
> should switch to another / none.
>
> The other way around, let the user not uncheck the control needed by the
> panel plugin in mcs, would be evil, and harder ^^
>
> For the standalone mixer, how do I create a new connection to mcs ?
> And wait for notification of change ?

I think you should just create a new connection in the plugin as well.
Look at panel/mcs_plugin.c or xfwm sources for how to use the mcs client
API.

	Jasper