4.0.4 anybody?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 27 22:42:47 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 08:47, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > Op di 24-02-2004, om 23:04 schreef Olivier Fourdan:
> > How about doing a 4.1.x development release soon as well (after brian
> > finishes the icon rearrangements)? That may be easier for people who'd
> > like to test. Could (should?) be source only I think.
>
> Are all API frozen?

i'd say probably not.  i'm planning on moving the xfdesktop menu code
into a gmodule that will live in xfce4-modules.  also, i was talking to
benny the other day, and we'd both like to see all functions in
libxfce4util and libxfcegui4 be namespaced with an 'xfce_' prefix.  that
means changing lots of names and adding deprecated stubs for the old
names.  depending on further needs, i may end up wanting to add other
things to one of the libs (in particular, i may need/want to change
XfceAppMenuItem after i actually start using it and see how it works).

i'm not so sure that the APIs need to be frozen for a devel release
anyway.  the definition (in my mind anyway) of a devel release is that
it's fluid, things are meant to change, and things may not work as
advertised.  while it's nice to give devel releases so more people
can see the new cool stuff that's on the drawing board, the main purpose
of a devel release should be to get things out to a wider audience for
testing.  with that in mind, user feedback may indirectly indicate that
some stuff needs to be changed, which might involve breaking an API
that was put together in the current devel cycle - which i don't think
is a big deal in a devel series.  IMO, the only time you need to worry
about freezing the APIs is when you're on track for a stable release.

just my 2c,
brian