func to save/restore window position, size?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Feb 10 21:30:40 CET 2004

Op di 10-02-2004, om 20:42 schreef Danny Milosavljevic:

> > Hmm, I'm not convinced this should be a library function, actually. I
> > can imagine different windows do different kind of things.
>
> Dunno :) Just got the impression I'd like to have some programs open at
> the same position&size they were last... but maybe it's not *that*
> common to make it worth a lib function. (although I feel that I really
> find it weird to have to do the remembering window pos&sizing for the
> program manually... maybe I'm just lazy ;))

If you are not actually saving and restoring the data from disk in these
functions, I don't see you gain much by it at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you propose to have something like

  get_window_info();
  set_window_info();

and connect those to the relevant signals.

Defining hook functions and attaching those to the window, to me doesn't
sound easier or more convenient than simply connecting to the signals
yourself. I'm probably missing something.

Maybe it's better to really show me what you mean. If you write whatever
you need for xfce4-mixer and that works well, we can put it in the
library.

Sorry if I sound very negative. If you feel it would be a good addition
for the library, there's a good change that I'm wrong.

Anyone else have an opinion? Surely, I can't be the only one ;-)

[good stuff skipped]

	Jasper