[patch] more xfdesktop stuff - help wanted

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 9 12:01:32 CET 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> i've been running xfdesktop through valgrind (--leak-check=yes
> --show-reachable=yes --logfile=valgrind-xfd -v --num-callers=50
> --leak-resolution=high), and the stack traces i get back from that do
> point to icon creation, but the memory allocations seem to be buried
> deeply in libxml2 and/or librsvg (obviously only when SVG icons are
> being loaded).  while i won't rule out an external bug, it just seems a
> bit unlikely to me that either of those two libraries could be leaking
> so much memory.

FYI, I've had a similar problem with a daemon program dumping 1.9GByte core
file after running for a day or two. After debugging for some days I found the
cause: I forgot one call to xmlFreeDoc(). Although the XML document in
question was short (only around 4Kb in text size), the in-memory tree
representation was that big, that parsing this file up to 100 times led to a
memory usage of 1.9GByte. So its not libxml2 leaking memory itself, but its
the programmer making small mistakes, that leads to such fast memory leaks.

> thanks,
> brian

regards,
Benedikt