libxfcegui4 version to try

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 2 22:29:28 CET 2004

Good evening everybody,

I finally came around to finish my work on an about dialog for xfce
applications (something ones one ask me to do in the pre 4.0 days, but I never
completed the stuff till now). The class for this is XfceAboutDialog in
xfce_aboutdialog.h/.c. To minimize the API for this dialog class (to keep it
easy to adjust), I put the data in a separate structure XfceAboutInfo which is
given to the XfceAboutDialog constructor, besides a parent window and an
optionally application icon.

Attached to this mail are 3 screenshots showing how the about dialog looks
like (in case of the session manager).

The attached tarball requires latest libxfce4util to work, as I moved the
licenses to libxfce4util to not require the user to install xfce-utils just to
get the license texts showing.

The XFce version ("XFce 4.1.4") string you see on the screenshots is currently
taken from the libxfcegui4 VERSION macro. This is one thing I'd like to get
rid of. I'd like to see a function xfce_get_version_string() or similar in
libxfce4util that returns a) either the libxfce4util VERSION, replacing
xfce-utils as the "Version package" (which makes more sense to me, since
libxfce4util has to be installed in any case, whereas xfce-utils is optinal),
or b) adding a special version string to libxfce4util - set from configure.ac
- that tells the XFce version number, which can then be different from the
version number of the libxfce4util package. Olivier, Jasper, Edscott, Botsie,
what do you think? a), b) or another way?

regards,
Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/