[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Mon Feb 2 17:57:25 CET 2004

-- BluPhoenyx <quazar at dcnet2000.com> wrote
(on Monday, 02 February 2004, 10:43 AM -0600):

> > > You want icons on desktop for minimized programs, or icons as
> > > launcher for something? As far as I remebmer, XFCE3 didn't have
> > > icons for launch something on desktop. Only thing that XFCE3 had was
> > > a ability to minimize running apps on desktop. This functionality is
> > > still there, you can choose if you like taskbar or icons - just look
> > > at the settings panel - I'm not at my XFCE box at the moment...
> > >
> > > So - ROX is an irrelevant answer for original question. :-)
> >
> > Actually, it's not; ROX _can_ and does show minimized windows on its
> > pinboard, if so configured. There's an option for it in the ROX
> > Options dialog; it's been there for many months now. Clicking on an
> > icon minimized in this way also takes you back to the workspace on
> > which that application was originally minimized.
>
> Thank you, Matthew. Your answer supports my original statement of using
> Rox as a 'simple fix' for the user's question. Unfortunately, it doesn't
> resolve all the issues they have, primarily moving the minimized icons
> to a new screen location.

Because I use ROX, and have for years now, it seems to me that xfdesktop
is redundant and unnecessary. I realize that the XFCE team wants a
"complete desktop solution", but I wonder if some of the goals could be
better realized by cooperating with other projects, such as ROX, in
order to achieve the functionality desired.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/