4.2-RC3 Mail checker & pop3 entry: missing port number

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Tue Dec 28 16:56:39 CET 2004

Robert Klein wrote:

> Rob Lahaye schrieb:
>
>> which works. However, using pop3 like this is risky,
>> since it sends the password in clear text over the network.
>>
>> Instead, one should use a secure tunnel from the local machine
>> to the server. Say, this tunnel operates on port 55110 with:
>>
>>    ssh -N -f -L 55110:server:110 my.local.host
>>
>> then the following should be allowed in the mailchecker:
>>    pop3://user:password at localhost:55110
>
> umm... I hink there is a slight misunderstanding..  SSH tunnels don't
> work _this_way_.

OK, sorry, indeed I messed it up. Thanks for clarifying.
But that does not remove the problem with Xfce.

I have following two SSH tunnels:

    /usr/bin/ssh -N -f -L 5525:localhost:25 mail.snu.ac.kr
    /usr/bin/ssh -N -f -L 55110:localhost:110 mail.snu.ac.kr

As an example, I use the 'mozilla -mail' email program;
to check new email, mozilla contacts localhost on port 55110;
to send email, it contacts localhost on port 5525. In each case
the corresponding port on the mail server is contacted via a
secure SSH connection.

So now my question is, how do I tell the mail widget in the panel
of Xfce4 (4.2-RC3) to use the port on localhost?
Without using the SSH tunnel, I can do:

   pop3://lahaye:*******@mail.snu.ac.kr

which works beautifully by contacting port 110 on mail.snu.ac.kr,
but I don't like clear text over this connection.
I want the Xfce mail-widget to use port 55110 on localhost!

The following two syntax do not seem to work:

    pop3://lahaye:*******@localhost:55110

and

    55110://lahaye:******@localhost

Rob

PS: Have you tried to resize the 'Item properties' dialogs?
     Strange things happen to its boundaries and layout!