xfmusic4 NPTL issue?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 21 00:00:00 CEST 2004

hi all-

i got a new laptop a week or two ago, and i built glibc with NPTL and
TLS support, unlike on my main desktop machine.  i went and compiled and
installed xfmusic4 on my laptop, and it's behaving strangely.  the GUI
locks up most of the time when playing songs.  actually, xfmusic4-cli
behaves similarly in that it pauses for long periods of time between
updating the playback position display.  has anyone else seen this on an
NPTL-enabled system?  to check, just run /lib/libc.so.6 from the
commandline, and look in the list of "Available extensions".  one should
read "Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al", and below
that section you should (probably) see "Thread-local storage support
included."

i've added some printfs, and what i expected is happening - the main
thread is taking a ridiculous amount of time to acquire the XfMusic
object's stream mutex - even while the audio thread repeatedly aquires
and drops it.  adding a g_thread_yield() call to the audio thread's main
loop might alleviate this, but by no means do i see that as an
acceptable solution.

so i'm interested in three types of scenarios:
1) if you ARE seeing this problem and you DO have an NPTL-enabled system
2) if you ARE NOT seeing this problem and you DO have an NPTL-enabled
system
3) if you ARE seeing this problem and you DO NOT have an NPTL-enabled
system

as you might guess, i only need replies if you fall into one of those 3
categories.

thanks all.  now that i'm moved in and mostly settled in my new
apartment, i'll be getting back to development on xfmusic4, and xfce in
general, starting this weekend.

	-brian