xfce4-terminal 0.0.3 is out

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Aug 7 18:10:56 CEST 2004

Eduard Roccatello wrote:
> Hello there :-)
>
> Lot of news for xfce4-terminal :-)
> http://www.roccatello.it/eduard/xfce4-terminal-0.0.3.tar.gz
>
> Mainly is MCS Plugin for font personalizzation, shortcuts and tab
> renaming (thanks to Randy).
>
> Please download and use it :-)
>
> Ciao!

Great to have a fresh code base to work off of.  Hopefully this will get
merged into CVS so there will be less cruft to deal with when upgrading
to a new version (as well as immediate availability of all the nifty
things that are getting added in here).

Hopefully people are finding the tab code I added useful :)

I've got a few things brewing for this app; among the list include (I
haven't checked out 0.0.3 yet so if these are implemented already please
excuse me):

* an improved GUI (i.e. more features)
* separating the code so that callbacks and the main loop are separate
* UTF8 support[1]
* more tab goodness
* removable menu (for edscott ;)

[1] While UTF8 support exists within VTE, for some curious reason it
exhibits a problem where inputting UTF8 characters via XIM works fine,
but it prints out garbage after you hit enter (commiting the characters
you've been putting in).  Curiously, though, echo "(garbage)" > file,
and then cat'ing said file, prints out the contents correctly.   This
leads me to think that it might be a problem with the output font, or
possibly a problem where the input from libvte isn't being converted to
UTF8 data before being output.  Regardless, I'll be taking a look into
this since I do a fair amount of work and other such in Japanese (I even
picked up a nice new Panasonic laptop today, woohoo!), so having XIM
playing nicely with xfce4-terminal is one of the big bullet points of my
list of "must have" features.

Of course, if somebody already has a ready solution to this, please do
submit a patch :)  It'll make my life easier and make me a happier camper.

--

Randy