Peculiar configure behavior

edscott edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Aug 5 16:55:16 CEST 2004

El jue, 05-08-2004 a las 06:54, Randy Chung escribió:
> Howdy folks,
>
> There seem to be a few oddities going on somewhere in the configure,
> make chain.  Particularly, I'm finding that some packages aren't reading
> from environment variables properly, leading to a situation where some
> binaries are built against runtime libraries in the default path, while
> others are (properly) built against runtime libraries specified in
> environment variables.  In particular, the following binaries on my
> system are misbehaving:
>
> xfbook4
> xfcalendar
> xffm
> xffrecuent4
> xffrequent
> xffstab
> xffstab4
> xfglob4
> xfrecent
> xfrecent4
> xfrun4
> xfsamba4
> xftrash4
> xftree4

Actually, that would be only two binaries, xfcalendar and xffm, since
all the others are only hardlinks to xffm.

> I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/local/xfce4/lib and
> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/xfce4/lib -R/usr/local/xfce4/lib" which should
> make everything build properly; however, it's only working for about
> half the packages.  Now here's the odd part: only libxfce4util is being
> linked incorrectly.  That is, going into the path I installed my
> binaries in (/usr/local/xfce4/bin) and running:
>
> for i in *; do ldd $i | grep '/usr/lib' | grep xfce; done
>
> Yields only references to libxfce4util.so.  All other xfce libraries are
> being properly linked to, e.g. /usr/local/xfce4/lib/libxfcegui4.so.
>
> My experience with configure scripts and Makefile.{in,am} is limited,
> and I'm busy with moving back to the US at the moment, so if someone
> could take a look at this it would be much appreciated :)

The problem with linking libxfce4util appeared when xfce4-modules was
moved to libxfcegui4. Before that, xffm would link correctly with the
alternate libxfce4util. But now, when libxfcegui4 compiles, it checks
and finds the alternate libxfce4util, but when it links it finds the old
libxfce4util. I'm quite confused with this and don't know what causes
it. I just overwrote the old libxfce4util with the new and moved on.
Maybe someone else on the list know?

regards,

Edscott