[Xfce4-commits] CVS: xfce4/xfwm4-themes/themes/gorilla Makefile.am, 1.3, 1.4 Makefile.in, 1.7, 1.8

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 25 10:29:34 CEST 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:59:28 +0200
>Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 23:32, Moritz Heiber wrote:
>>

>>>As for Lunar Linux and many other distributions there is no 'pax'
>>>module/application yet but there is tar on almost any box I can
>>>imagine.
>>>I'd really like to see that 'pax' requirement to be removed to make
>>>future Xfce packages are going to work out on _any_ system they are
>>>installed on.
>>>

>>tar restores the user/group when running as root, which is not a good
>>solution because you would end up with files belonging to users
>>installed in the root tree.
>>
>>Then, one could use GNU tar which has an option to avoid this, but
>>it's
>>not compatible with other tar (Solaris, Aix, prolly BSD tar, etc.).
>>Using that option would then add a requirement on GNU tar.
>>
>>Welcome to the wonderfull world of UNIX fragmentation.
>>

>Considering that no-one else uses pax and as a consequence many people
>will not have it installed, are you sure it's worth the trouble? I never
>felt the install of xfwm4 was too slow. What exactly do you gain by
>using it?

agreed.  this sounds just silly to me.  any time saved by using pax will
be wasted in the time it takes to download and install the thing.  i'd
bet many people on systems with some kind of package management would
even first look for a package native to their distro, wasting even more
time.

sure, spawning a new 'install' process for each file isn't the most
efficient way, but it's certainly the most portable way.

    -brian