[Xfce4-commits] CVS: xfce4/xfwm4-themes/themes/gorilla Makefile.am, 1.3, 1.4 Makefile.in, 1.7, 1.8

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Apr 25 07:59:28 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 23:32, Moritz Heiber wrote:
> As for Lunar Linux and many other distributions there is no 'pax'
> module/application yet but there is tar on almost any box I can imagine.
> I'd really like to see that 'pax' requirement to be removed to make
> future Xfce packages are going to work out on _any_ system they are
> installed on.

tar restores the user/group when running as root, which is not a good
solution because you would end up with files belonging to users
installed in the root tree.

Then, one could use GNU tar which has an option to avoid this, but it's
not compatible with other tar (Solaris, Aix, prolly BSD tar, etc.).
Using that option would then add a requirement on GNU tar.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of UNIX fragmentation.

 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -