xfdesktop new stuff - needs testing

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Apr 22 17:24:40 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> done.  seems to work ok, defaults appear to be sane.  except that "don't
> set backdrop" doesn't appear to do anything.  i didn't really touch this
> code (aside from fixing the crash bug).  it appears when that checkbox
> is checked, we grab the _XROOTPMAP_ID properly and set the virtual root
> window to whatever's in that.  which appears to be the normal backdrop
> that's set anyway.  i presume this is so apps that write to the real
> root window and set _XROOTPMAP_ID can work properly, but if that's the
> case, i think "don't set backdrop" is very misleading.

Yeah, it is. What I meant to do is allow regualr background setters to
work with xfce (well, xplanet, basically ;) so if you check the option
xfdesktop will look for changes in the _XROOTPMAP_ID property and change
the background accordingly.

It's an attempt to ease one of the annoyances that come with the
fullscreen background window. Feel free to remove it (or think of a
better solution :-)).

	Jasper