more icon theme stuff (blah)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 18 06:21:20 CEST 2004

ok...  so now my icons are totally screwed up (or rather, they were,
until i hacked my system to pieces fixing it).  i _really_ think all
icons need to be moved to $datadir/icons pronto.  i also think all our
themes need to be prefixed with "Xfce-".  things just aren't working
right with $datadir/xfce4/icons, and i can't seem to figure out why.

it _seems_ obvious.  i point at an icon, "gnome-settings", to act as the
icon for the "Settings" menu.  it doesn't show up.  i move aside
$datadir/xfce4/icons/gnome, and presto, it appears.  i move our gnome
theme back, and it's gone again.  but look!  gnome-multimedia isn't.
and i have no idea why it shows up, when gnome-settings doesn't.

the gnome-settings problem seems to indicate that GtkIconTheme is giving
up if it finds a theme dir, but can't find an icon (regardless if there
is another identical theme directory farther down in the search path).
honestly, i think this is a gtk bug, but the bug i filed on gnome
bugzilla over 2 weeks(?) ago hasn't even been commented upon.  i really
don't want to fork GtkIconTheme.  i really don't.  i don't have the time
or energy to maintain it, to say nothing of familiarising myself with it.

so i say the hell with it, let's just move everything to
$datadir/icons.  that seems to be the Right Thing to do anyway.  the
cool thing is that, e.g., the "Xfce-Noia" theme can "inherit" from
"Noia", so it will pick up icons from the latter theme if they aren't in
ours.

the only downside (aside from the time and work required to do the
change) is that of handling fallback behaviour.  if the user selects a
non-"Xfce-" theme, they may not have the files the panel requires.  the
simple fix for that is to duplicate the icons from our default
("Xfce-Curve") theme and dump them in $datadir/icons/hicolor.  so maybe
we overwrite someone else's icons.  tough.  that's a packaging issue.

the fix for this downside, however, has its own downside.  that means
that no matter what non-"Xfce-" theme the user picks, they'll have to
live with "Xfce-Curve" icons for the panel.  the panel _could_ have an
"icon theme override" option, but that sounds rather hackish.  i can't
see any way around this.

thoughts?

    -brian