paths at $datadir/xfce/icons

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Apr 13 15:16:25 CEST 2004

El lun, 12-04-2004 a las 23:40, Brian J. Tarricone escribió:
> edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
> >$datadir/icons/gnome should be $datadir/icons/Gnome
> >

> this i'm not so sure about, since the "standard" gnome icon theme uses a
> lowercase 'g'.

It just looks weird having all other themes capitalized as proper names.
But if Gnome prefers gnome, you are correct.

> i'm also still somewhat ambivalent about having our own "Xfce-" prefixed
> icon theme names.  hmmmm.  not sure what to do.

The prefix only makes sense by using $datadir/icons, not
$datadir/xfce4/icons.

By installing into $datadir/xfce4/icons, you are not following the
"standard", which points to $datadir/icons. The joy of using a standard
is that files from other desktops can be read and used by xfce and
viceversa. Why duplicate collections if already installed (Crystal,
Noia, FreeIcons, ...)?  (i.e., why bloat?).

To avoid duplication, icon files should be used in their original names.
That would imply having a hashtable of icon file names associated to
this-or-that pixmap in xfce.

That hastable is created with xfce4-modules/mime-icons, parsed from an
xml file. Most applications will not need all mime types, just a subset
of icons private to xfce.

Conclusion, if $datadir/xfce4/icons is used in lieu of $datadir/icons,
not much is gained by adopting the standard. Anti-bloat interest lies in
$datadir/icons. If you change to instalation directory to conform to the
standard, I could create a small module for the xfce private types. This
would enable programs use the icons in their original names, be they
installed by xfce or a different desktop, without using the entire
mime-type hashtable. The cool thing about the module is that it can be
unloaded after the icons are created/changed.

regards

Edscott