Desktop Icons

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Sep 30 06:12:48 CEST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:45:12 -0700 (PDT), Erik Harrison wrote:

> --- edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
>
> >Since xfdesktop creates a window on top of the real root window, You
> >probably should look at modifying xfdesktop4.
>
> Oh indeed. But step one for this little learner is to start with a
> Desklaunch. Ideally, I'd like to see the Backdrop and Menu
> functionality integreated with a desktop launcher system, and the
> Workspace mangement either made a seperate module or part of xfwm4.
> What is the reason that the workspace code is in xfdesktop4 and not the WM?

I've wondered about this too. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. :)

> >The 1.x will cover much of 2.x. Some things are deprecated so you >better
> >download the api reference from www.gtk.org and check each function
> >before you use them.
>
> API reference is a good idea, but I need a tutorial to get started.
> I'll take a look at the GTK+ 1 books.
>
> >Each application may have an internally defined icon, which should be
> >used (that's what the taskbar does).
>
> What about document icons? I'd like to keep concurrency with xffm. It's
> not possible to extract the icon for an executable from an unrunning
> application can you? Maybe I'm being unclear - I don't mean minimized
> icons, I meant the desktop as a location for links to files and apps.

To do this properly, you would need a lot of filemanager code. Frankly, what I'd
like is for someone to create a branch of ROX Filer that would integrate better
with XFce4. The main thing would be replacing it's settings system with MCS, I
guess and strip out the AppDir stuff. The main thing is that ROX has most of the
features that anybody would want in a desktop manager. It's a pretty good file
manager too, and would be a good compliment to xffm.

-- b