Desktop Icons

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Mon Sep 29 22:36:14 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 13:47, Erik Harrison wrote:
> Hey all -
>
> I'd like to write a module to allow desktop icons - I know this was a goal during the
>  3.x release. I've been reading through the Desklaunch code (in keeping with our
> tendency to reuse good code). It will probably need a good solid overhaul, however,
> and I ain't much of a C programmer. So, if someone might answer a couple of questions
>  for me that'd be great:

Since xfdesktop creates a window on top of the real root window, You
probably should look at modifying xfdesktop4.

> 1) Can anyone point me to a good GTK 2 tutorial? All of the local library's books
> are for the 1.x series

The 1.x will cover much of 2.x. Some things are deprecated so you better
download the api reference from www.gtk.org and check each function
before you use them. For the rest, just take a gtk2 program that does
what you want to do and look at how they did it. The iconbox program is
probably a good place to start.

> 2) How should I determine document and application icons? Will the method that xffm
>  uses change during development (for example, to the freedesktop icon spec)?

Each application may have an internally defined icon, which should be
used (that's what the taskbar does). If no internally defined icon is
used, you should provide a default icon. As a plus, you could allow the
user to override internally defined icons and the default icon.

This is different from what the xffm file manager does, because it
generates scores and it would be expensive to be looking into each and
every file for an icon, although it probably could be done for
executables only...

BTW, what's the freedesktop icon spec?

Edscott