Subject: Re: xffm - anomaly + mounting ISO fs

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Thu Sep 25 22:09:51 CEST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:06:17 -0500
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> > Even if kernel has support for loop devices, there
> > might be a problem. Isn't it true that only root
> > can do loop device mounting?
>
> True. Or sudo.

Not necessarily true. Properly configured loopback files can be
mounted as a regular user. I do this all the time with an HFS file. Of
course this may be system dependent. For it to work properly, the
mount must be defined in the /etc/fstab file.

# hfs mount...
/home/apple/disks/hfs.hdv /mnt/loop-hfs hfs noauto,users,loop 0 0

Note that both the file and mount point belong to root but when
mounted, become mine. Also, the loopback devices and HFS are kernel
modules and automatically inserted.

Mike T.

Linux user #169067