Subject: Re: xffm - anomaly + mounting ISO fs

K Raghu Prasad raghuprasad at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 08:01:38 CEST 2003

Hi!

>> No problem asking for the mount point.
>> The problem I see is that the mount -loop will
>> not always work since the "loop" option must be
>> enabled in the Linux kernel and not all linux
>> distributions do so.
>>
>> The popup menu should only show commands that
>> will work and be able to determine this on the
>> fly. I don't know how to figure out if the
>> kernel is enabled for loop mount.
>
> I had not thought about that in ref to the
> kernel's loop  block device. There is a test
> though to see if the loopback is up & running...
> hmmm, will have to think about that a little
> later... (busy now).

Even if kernel has support for loop devices, there
might be a problem. Isn't it true that only root
can do loop device mounting?

In my system I am not allowed to mount a file based
file system unless I am root. Though specifying
in fstab to allow others to mount (option user(s))
that particular file may be the solution. But still
in my opinion that is not under xffm's domain. Anyway
I can't imagine xffm being used with root privileges
and hence allowing loop device mount may not be much
useful for general isofs files.

Also why only isofs? I work with many more file based
file systems like ext2fs, cramfs, minixfs... :-)
Then what are the standard extension names for them?

cheers
krp