How can I restrict xffm to access certain directories only?

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Sep 24 01:30:46 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 07:30, K Raghu Prasad wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to deploy xfce in a setup where xffm is allowed
> to access only the home directories and removable
> block devices. Though network access through samba is
> permitted.
>
> In short I want to allow access to home directories,
> samba shares, cdrom, memory-stick and floppy only.
> And hence remove Application, Trash, Book etc. from
> xffm menu.
>
> Is there a simple way to do it? If not, then I can
> modify the xffm source. Modifying which files would
> provide most elegant solution?

The simple way would be define the environment variables XFFM_HIDE_BOOK,
XFFM_HIDE_APPS_, XFFM_HIDE_TRASH, XFFM_HIDE_FIND. But the resourceful
user can always go to options->activate to turn them on, so you would
have to disable these functions. That should be easy. Open xffm.glade
with glade2, and just disable the menu entries (don't erase them or a
score of problems will follow). Then use the glade function to rebuild
source code. Another way would be to erase the xffm binary and use the
xfsamba4 or xffstab binaries instead. Each of these will also show the
home directory if the monitor is enabled or the user presses the home
button.

But the fstab entry would still show mount points you do not want shown,
so you would have to modify libs/fstab.c to filter out the stuff you do
not want.

To restrict the local-files branch to the home directory... well, you
would have to disable the go-to function and the go-up function in
libs/goto.c. A return at the beginning of each will probably do the
trick.

regards,

Edscott