xffm - anomaly + mounting ISO fs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Sep 24 00:26:50 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:16, Ric wrote:
> Hey:
>
> There is an anomaly in xffm for the ISO filetype.  If one selects an  *.iso
> file and right clicks, the menu has "Execute <file_name>.iso" under the "Open"
> category.  I don't know what execute is supposed to do with an *.iso but one
> cannot 'exec' a filesystem.

No anomaly here. You most probably have the exec bit set for the file.
Whenever the exec bit is set for any file, the popup will always show
the option "Execute foo.xxx". If no program is associated, double click
will execute. If a program is associated it will take preference over
execute.

> In its place I suggest  " Mount <file_name>.iso ".  In Linux, this can be
> accomplished with the mount ... -o loop ...  command.   For example, to mount
> the currently highlighted file in the emelfm file manager at the existing but
> unmounted directory(mount point) named " /mnt/ISO " one can use the user
> command:
>
> mount %f /mnt/ISO -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop3

Currently .iso files have "cdrecord" and "burncd" associated as default
but they only show if either program is installed on your system. This
is to make cd recording easy since the popup for directories has a
"create isofs" option.

I had not thought about mounting the isofs.

> The xffm works a little differently so I do not know if you can provide a
> pop-up for the user to enter the mount point.  The mount point has to be an
> existing directory that is not mounted, else mount wigs-out.  Obviously, you
> already have a way to recognize and substitute the currently highlighted
> file(the " %f " in emelfm).

No problem asking for the mount point. The problem I see is that
the mount -loop will not always work since the "loop" option must be
enabled in the Linux kernel and not all linux distributions do so.

The popup menu should only show commands that will work and be able to
determine this on the fly. I don't know how to figure out if the kernel
is enabled for loop mount.

regards,

Edscott