xrandr support / xffm: cursor keys

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sat Sep 13 15:34:05 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 06:08, Luis Miguel Garcia wrote:

> > - the treecontrol in xffm accepts navigating using the cursor keys which
> > is great. But to close the current folder i have to move up all the way
> > to the directoryname and only then can it be closed (using the LEFT
> > key). If i know i want to close it anyway why not let the LEFT key close
> > it right away from any of the files (ofcourse including the currently
> > selected file) ?
>
> But this would be VERY NICE. Is it very difficult to implement?

You can use the "backspace" key plus "left". The backspace will
immediately pop you to the parent node. Then you press "left" and voilá.
Yes, I know that is two keystrokes instead of one. But let me explain.

1- When a keystroke has two different functions depending on
circumstance, the behaviour is confusing (at least to me).
2- The left key is only a convenience synonym for the keypad "-" key,
placed there because laptops don't have a separate keypad. The behaviour
of the keypad "-" is gtk default, so you can expect it to be repeatable
in other applications.

BTW, I am not sure whether it is in the manuals or tips, but an easy
keyboard way to move down a long tree is to use the alphabet letters.
Type "B" and you will scroll down to the first element that starts with
B, type "l" and down you go to the first with l. This is useful even if
you do most of your navigating with the mouse.

Say you reach a point with a thousand files that start with "lib", but
you want to get to something call lynx. So holding down the windows key,
press "y". You will scroll down to the file whose *second* letter
matches.

If you don't have the windows key, all other modifiers are unavailable,
but you can still use the filter.

regards,

Edscott