xfpanel - feature requests and bugs

Sridhar R sridharinfinity at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 13:02:25 CET 2003

> 3. when opening dialogs from xfpanel, don't make it
> modal, but that doesn't mean that they should show
in
> taskbar. may be also don't make them AOT.  But put a
> single taskbar entry for an item configuration
>

> Sorry I don't understand what you mean here. The > >
> dialogs are shown in
> the taskbar, because they require immediate action >
> from the user. I
> believe they should be modal; you either want to > >
> change something or you don't.

Suppose you are changing the property of a xfce-panel
plugin.  In the midst, you want to preview the
currently available icons through xffm or nautilus,
say.  Then keeping the propery windows modal seems
to be annoying for the user.
Also making the plugin-property dialog modal, also
makes the xfpanel not clickable for any task (I know
thats the task of modal dialogs).  Thats why
these dialogs shouldn't start as modal.  May be
re-opening the dialogs shoudn't have any effect
when the dialog is already visible (More work on
plugin developers?)
This is definitely a user-friendly feature.

> 5. In add-launcher properties "remove" button should
> have focus by default so that it loses focus only
when
> user changes launcher properties and if he is not,
> definetly he is not willing to create that launcher
so
> that by pressing enter he can close it.
>

> Can't do that, because the dialog doesn't know it's
> a new item.

May be pass a parameter to launcher function denoting
whether is created or edited ;-)
Sure, that works.

> IMO this is a nautilus bug, btw.
Sure!

> 10. "Add Launcher" seems to redundant most of the
> times. Though it is needed there. The only solution
is
> to support a option to make only '+' icon visible,
but
> no text and the area occupied by that will be
smaller.
> Still user-friendly!
>

> I don't think so ;-)
Of course.  But there are user, who don't think
like you.  Thats why I asked for a OPTION to support
such a feature.
Hope you would implement it.

=====