[patch] xftaskbar doesn't respect fitts' law

Mike Roome arhra at arsware.org
Sat Oct 25 13:29:24 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 11:54, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> The patch is fine, but there is a problem that the tasklist buttons and
> the pager don't seem to be aligned properly. This is probably theme
> dependent.
>
> I made an alternative patch that uses a vbox instead of a frame and
> added a 1x1 widget below the hbox (or above if the taskbar is on the
> bottom). I believe this gives a better visual boundery between the
> taskbar and the root window.

That sounds like what i wanted to try to implement, but i really didn't
have any idea how, so i just went for the minimal changes necessary to
get it working :) (i pretty happy just to get something working that
didn't break autohide, which my first attempt did...)

> > It might also be worth looking into modifying the panel in a similar
> > manner, if possible, but i haven't looked at the code for that yet to
> > see if it would be as simple as it was for the taskbar.
> >

> The panel is a free-floating widget. Using a flat widget without edges
> looks unnatural and ugly. I want to find a solution for this, but it's
> not easy.

i had a feeling that would be awkward, hence why i didn't really want to
go near it just yet ;)

> I think I would prefer to have a separate theme repository somewhere.
> Perhaps we can simply use an exiting theme site, like for example
> themedepot.org or freshmeat and advertise that on our website.
>
> I don't really like the way we have all our themes stuck together in CVS
> modules now.

sounds ok to me, although it would be useful if xfwm4 could source
themes from somewhere in a users home directory (unless of course this
is already possible, but if it is, i certainly haven't seen it
documented anywhere)

Mike
--
arhra.arsware.org|arhra.deviantart.com