command line to change wallpaper

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Sat Oct 25 10:35:18 CEST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:16:16 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm taking this to xfce4-dev list now.
>
> Op za 25-10-2003, om 09:36 schreef Biju Chacko:
>
> > Wouldn't life be much simpler if xfdesktop's pseudo-root-window was
> > transparent? Then everybody's favourite root pixmap changer would work. Is
> > this practical?
> >

> I don't think it's that simple, unfortunately. It would indeed be a very
> nice solution. Luca can perhaps comment on this as well.
>
> A gtk toplevel window can not be transparent, I think. For that you need
> an input-only window, which is fine as long as you don't want to add
> other widgets (icons) to it. Also, instead of an input-only window,
> luca's solution of using the root window directly is just as easy,
> either through gdk or using xlib directly.

Hmmm ...

Excuse me if my ideas are kinda daft, but I don't know as much about the issues
as you do.

Would it be possible to simulate transparency by monitoring the root window
using gdk or xlib? As the background pixmaps changes, change the
pseudo-root-window pixmap? AFAIK, that's how transparent xterms work don't they?

And yes -- I realise that it won't be easy. I am just trying to figure out a way
of getting third party background tools to work with xfdesktop.

Of course, I don't know whether the benefit merits the kind of work involved.

-- b