Are there any language bindings for XFCE4?

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Oct 20 22:16:20 CEST 2003

On Sun, 19, Oct 2003, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:

> I wanted to find out if there are any scripting language bindings for
> XFCE4? Something that would enable people to write applets, etc. in
> scripting languages like Python, etc.

I have C++ support on my TODO list for xfce 4.2 or maybe 5.0 using
gtk-- as the basis. With Perl and Python there are language bindings
for Gtk+ and IIRC Jens already did some small tools using Perl, but
those "applets" are shared object files with xfce that are loaded into
the process of the panel at runtime, so in order to get Perl/Python
support, it would require us to embed an interpreter into the panel;
I'm not sure if thats really a good idea. On the other side, we could
provide some kind of panel plugin proxy, what do you think Jasper?

> Thanks.
> -D

regards,
Benedikt