Display plugin

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Oct 16 19:15:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, 16, Oct 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > Note that not all applications are/might be ready for XRandR yet. I
> > have patches ready for the panel, the desktop and the taskbar, but
> > they are quite old, and I don't know if anybody made changes since
> > that time, so it may take some time until the plugin becomes really
> > useful in all ways. I hope to finish today.
>
> Hehe, welcome back benny ;-)

Thanks Jasper :o)

> If you have something for the panel, I'm very interested to have a look
> at it.

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I don't have any patches for the panel
yet, but for the iconbox.

Until now, I added XRandR support to xfdesktop, xftaskbar and
xfce4-iconbox. The stuff is in CVS and waiting for testers. The change
is quite easy: Just connect the "size-changed" callback for the given
GdkScreen and when the callback is fired, the application has to
re-evaluate the position of its windows. Note, that this does not
apply to applications which windows are managed by the window manager.

Anyway the panel code is a bit confusing for me, mostly because of the
Xinerama stuff. Jasper, can you try to add support to the panel? And
if you do, be aware of the fact that Xinerama and XRandR aren't
compatible at all, so only one can be used at a time.

A note on the XRandR "client-side support": The usage of the
"size-changed" callback is limited to Gtk+ 2.2 or better, but since
XRandR came up with XFree86 4.3, this should not be a problem, cause
about 99% of the people using XFree86 4.3 will have gtk2.2 or above
installed, I think.

> > As with all new stuff, please send bugreports and feature requests ;-)
>
> A new monitor for me to support all those resolutions :)

I just thought of writing a new X extension to replace Xinerama and
XRandR, so if anybody wants to offer me 4 to 16 21" monitors? ;-)

best regards,
Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/