xfce4-notes-0.9 - plugin for panel

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Oct 8 00:48:33 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:43, Jakob Henriksson wrote:

> Download: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~b0kaj/xfce4-notes-0.9.5.tar.gz
> (for now at least)
>
> Or go to site: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~b0kaj/programming/notes/
>
> What's changed?
>       - Editable titlebar (double-click)
>       - Option to make notes sticky,
>       - Customizable applet icon,
>       - Better option menu with separate color selection dialog
>       - Fixed bad code crashing the app (doubleclick on titlebar)
>       - Better tooltips..
>       - other minor things...

Cool. I found a minor bug you might have fixed (but is not mentioned).
The notes are apparently saved when the panel exits gracefully or gets
the USR1 signal. Which means that ctrl+alt+backspace makes the unsaved
notes get lost. I put in a launcher to a small script to send USR1 to
the panel to save my notes.

> One remaining issue is how to show/hide notes and how to create a new
> note. Ideally perhaps would be to show/hide notes with single click
and
> create a new note with double click but I don't really know how to do
> that in a nice way. The reason? There is a problem catching
> GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS on "button-press-event" signal for creating new
note
> without catching GDK_BUTTON_PRESS for show/hide notes. It works but
> it's not nice to see all notes flicker before a new note is created.
> Any ideas on this? Anyway, for now I added some more informative
> tooltips on panel applet icon per someones suggestion on this list.

Personally, I prefer single click on button 2 or button 3 for a new
note. Otherwise you might try a hack like this:

1- on click add an idle callback function which will activate in say,
50000 ms. (quite a long time). The idle callback will have the code to
hide/show notes.
2- on double click, cancel the idle callback function and do the double
click business instead.

regards,

Edscott

> Ok, don't have a cow,