mime and freedesktop (was: Desktop Icons)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Oct 3 15:52:16 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 06:29, Thomas Leonard wrote:

> The xfce: prefix indicates the designer of the spec, not the desktop. You
> can't use <application> unless you get agreement on freedesktop.org as to
> the format of the element (and the desktop= part is probably unnecessary).
>
> The thing is, you can continue using XFCE's list of application handlers
> with the new spec (and types) by using an <xfce:application> element, or
> wait until there's an agreed standard and use that. Either way, there's no
> reason not to use the existing database to get the same MIME names,
> matching rules and comments as ROX (and GTK's next file chooser).

OK. That should not be complicated at all. Xffm 4.2 should have the xml
tags equivalent to those in freedesktop.xml.

But how should the argument format string be written? (remember that we
need to define multiple <xfce:application> elements for a single type)

Currently xffm has:
<extension id=".tex" application="xterm" arguments="-e latex"/>

maybe:

<glob pattern="*.tex"/>
<xfce:application arguments="-e latex">xterm</application>

or maybe this (because it's easier to work with):

<glob pattern="*.tex"/>
<xfce:application>
  <app>xterm</app>
  <arg>-e latex</arg>
</application>

or maybe I can do anyway since the "xfce" prefix indicates the designer
of the spec.

Please don't think I'm being obnoxious, I just don't have the clear
picture I need to start coding.

> Sorry if my example wasn't very clear.

Thanks for explaining. Your examples have been clear.

regards,

Edscott