what to do with xfdesktop

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Nov 25 13:58:08 CET 2003

Op di 25-11-2003, om 13:43 schreef Olivier FOURDAN:
> Hi Jasper,
>
> I think you are trying to find the right answer to the wrong question, and I bet that won't take you anywhere.
>
> Using a desktop type window is the standard and the right solution (kde does it, nautilus does it, rox does it, etc.).

This was one of my solutions, you know ;-) It's a good answer too, I can
fully agree with it.

I just wanted to try to see how far I could get. Not far enough IMO.

> Now, for me, the right question is, what do we do with our "fake root" window. Do we use it to put some icons, ala Windows (or Rox) o do we use it to store apps icons (ala xfce3)
>
> I really don't care about old apps such as xpenguins or xplanet. It's up to the freedesktop to find a way for those apps to update the desktop image (being  the root win or antoher window). First set up a standard way of achieving this goal and we shall implement it (note that we may raise the issue on freedesktop list and see what are other people's point of view)
>
> Just as an idea, if the app that runs in background accept a win id for display, then we could offer something like
>
> [x] Use application to repaint workspace
>       [xplanet -id $root ]
>
> => then xfdesktop would replace $root with its own window xid so the app is able to draw onto xfdesktop window (xscreensaver programs offer such an option)

Sounds like a good solution.

The freedesktop solution could be to specify a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_WINDOW
property holding the id of the root window, allowing other apps to use
it. There is no such thing now, is there?

> As for the menu in xfwm4, you guess right :)

:-)

Thanks,
	Jasper