Plugin interface: Information and Version

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Mon Nov 24 07:59:00 CET 2003

Op ma 24-11-2003, om 05:19 schreef Biju Chacko:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:57:12 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > Ok, a follow-up. How about an extra virtual function
> >
> >   void (*get_info) (GtkTextBuffer *textbuffer);
> >
> > The plugin author can put in whatever information he likes and the panel
> > will put it in a second notebook tab.
> >
> > Would that be convenient enough? It allows for more flexibility and
> > prevents the need for a new variable for every new piece of information
> > we feel might be useful.
>
> I'd say this method would encourage inconsistency between plugins. I'd suggest a
> minimal list of mandatory information (name, version number, etc) plus a buffer
> for flexibility.

Amazing, I was just going to write exactly the same thing ;-)

I like the list Bernhard used, so I was thinking:

Name
Version
Author(s)
Website

Description

All of which will be left out when they are NULL. I'm not sure about
'Author(s)' -- that might get complicated. 'Maintainer' perhaps would be
better or 'Contact' with an email address?

What do you think?

	Jasper