Plugin interface: Information and Version

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat Nov 22 21:57:12 CET 2003

Op di 11-11-2003, om 20:29 schreef Bernhard Walle:
> Hello,
>
> one problem with the panel plugins in my opinion the installed version.
> My suggestion: A standardisized dialog that is shown if you right click
> on the plugin and choose "About ...". The dialog should provide
> following information, e.g. my netload plugin
>
>   Name:          XFce4 Netload Plugin
>   Version:       0.2.1
>   Author:        Bernhard Walle
>   Report bugs:   xfce-goodies-dev at xfce.org
>   Homepage:      http://xfce-goodies.berlios.de

Ok, a follow-up. How about an extra virtual function

  void (*get_info) (GtkTextBuffer *textbuffer);

The plugin author can put in whatever information he likes and the panel
will put it in a second notebook tab.

Would that be convenient enough? It allows for more flexibility and
prevents the need for a new variable for every new piece of information
we feel might be useful.

Secondly, I'd like to ask all plugin authors if there are other things
the control / control class structures should provide. I currently have
one:

  gboolean is_unique;

this will allow the panel to grey out items of which there can be only
only one (e.g. systray). Anything else?

Big changes in the interface and implementation of a plugin library will
be for 4.4, I think (ideas still welcome ;-), but we can expand the
current structures a bit to fix a few missing pieces.

	Jasper