xfce-session

Marcel Pol mpol at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 01:48:36 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:10:37 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> > Sorry if it has been asked before, but I was wondering if there is some
> > expectation about when xfce-session will be considered stable.
>
> My current plan is to finish xfce4-session 1.0 sometime around Feb 2004.
>
> > I'm making packages for Mandrake, and I'm wondering if I should include
> > xfce-session or not. I can say it works for me though. The next Mandrake
> > version will come out around April next year, does that sound reasonable?
>
> xfce4-session is quite usable so far and it does basic session
> management (atleast everything the normal users expects a session to
> do), but there are some open issues I'm working on. Due to lack of time,
> this will take some time, so the best expectation I can do for now is:
> xfce4-session will be ready with XFce 4.2 ;-)

Thank you for your answer. I will include it, but probably not as default with
xfce then. I now know what to expect.

> > Also, there is a patch made by Götz Waschk, where it doesn't use sudo for
> > shutdown/reboot/halt, but directly as a user, and calls /usr/bin/reboot
> > instead of /sbin/reboot. In Mandrake there are wrappers in /usr/bin for
> > this. I do not know if other distro's also have that.
> > I include the patch for your interest.
>
> The problem here is, that nearly every Linux distro has its own way of
> allowing users to shutdown the system and every Unix system has another
> way as well. Therefore I'll provide a generic way with plain
> xfce4-session and it'll up to the packager to patch it for the given
> system.

Ok, that sounds fine for me. Currently the source code needs to be patched
rather heavily (it's over my head at least), so maybe it's an idea to make it
easier to customise, with a default configfile, or define's in the source.
Just an idea, I'm not trying to push you in any way.

--
Marcel Pol