xfdesktop without fullscreen window

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Nov 12 09:57:18 CET 2003

Hey all,

I don't think we will support icons on the desktop anytime soon, so I
wondered if it would be hard to not use the fullscreen window, but
still use gtk to handle events (mainloop, mouse click callbacks, etc).

It proved to be rather easy. I made the fullscreen window an input-only
GtkInvisible and now things like xplanet and xpenguins just work.

The settings dialog wasn't changed, so xfdesktop will still set the
background when it is started, but other desktop setters can take over
afterwards.

Should we ever want to implement desktop icon support it will be quite
easy to switch back to using a fullscreen window.

You can get it here:
http://members.home.nl/xfce4/files/xfdesktop-4.1-20031112.tar.gz

Is this something we want for 4.2?

	Jasper