Postponing beta release

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat May 31 19:12:01 CEST 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003 21:26:55 +0530
Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> > 1) do we want to bump library version numbers to 1 yet?
>
> I think thats appropriate only for the final release versions. Perhaps
> we should set all modules to 3.9.0 for the first beta?

Just to be clear, I was talking about libtool versioning and
consequently library sonames. This is independent of module versioning.

For module versioning I proposed to use a $MAJOR.$MINOR system for
pre-4.0 betas, starting at 3.90, then 3.91, etc. (Note: there already
has been a 3.9.0 release for XFce 3 ;-) and a kernel like versioning
system afterwards with $MAJOR.$MINOR.$MICRO, so 4.0.x for the first
stable series, 4.1.x for the new development series leading up to the
next stable series 4.2.x, etc.

	Jasper