user interface mcs -- only grabbing gtk1 themes

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Thu May 29 15:28:16 CEST 2003

-- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote
(on Thursday, 29 May 2003, 12:50 PM +0200):
> On Thu, 29, May 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > First of all it seems a bit strange to me that debian installs anything
> > in the user's home dir. Why are themes not installed in
> > /usr/share/themes?
>
> I don't think, they install system-wide themes into any users home directory.
> But it looks like they modified Gtk+ to look for user themes in .themes-gtk2
> instead of the default .themes directory.

That's it exactly. Which means that any apps you compile yourself that
utilize gtk2 look in the .themes directory as well, but debian has you
put them in .themes-gtk2.0. I've made a habit of symlinking from one to
the other, except when gtk1 and gtk2 themes collide (which usually means
they're poorly written).

> > Secondly, I can't think of any reason why you'd want to change the
> > default user location from .themes to .themes-gtk2.0. There is no
> > conflict between gtk1 and gtk2 packages, since they install to different
> > directories.
>
> Thats a good question. Maybe Martin knows the reason?

I'd love to have some light shed on this as well -- in looking closely
at the various themes I've installed, gtk themes have a gtk directory,
gtk2 themes use a gtk-2.0 directory. It seems a little overkill to also
throw them in a different directory altogether.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew at weierophinney.net
http://matthew.weierophinney.net