Roadmap reminder

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu May 29 15:20:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 03:53, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Someone once thought of the following roadmap:
>
>     * 12 May : Last call for feature requests
>     * 31 May : XFce4-BETA1 (Translation freeze)
>     * 31 May - 29 June : Additional BETA releases
>     * 30 June : XFce4-RC1 (Documentation freeze)
>     * 30 June - 15 July : Additional Release Candidates
>     * 15 July : XFce4-RELEASE
>
> As you can see we are just a couple of days before the first beta. Now
> the question is, are we ready for that?

Yes, but the release procedure details should be organized. Are we to
prepare binaries besides the tarballs? If so, who will prepare what
binary for what platform?

Once all the individual package binaries are ready, we can upload them
to ftp://upload.sourceforge.net and Olivier or Chuck (as xfce admins)
could add them to the xfce4-beta release. To avoid file tampering,
md5sum should be prepared by each packager. How does that sound?

> I think feature-wise we are mostly there. I can't judge very well the
> status of xffm. Edscott, what's your opinion?

Feature wise it should be frozen (i.e., nothing which requires a
translation should be added). I do think it very important to go ahead
with the xfce4 release. For xffm the next scheduled work is "behind the
stages": optimizing the xffm-lib into smaller components that will make
startup faster and lower the memory footprint. This should fit in
between the beta-release and the release-release.

> One thing that will need some attention is the about box. All texts are
> unfinished and the license tab only shows the GPL, but we use three
> licenses so they should probaly get their own tabs. I can do some of the
> work on that today.
>
> I still want a better default configuration for the panel and the
> desktop menu, but I don't think it is too important to have before the
> beta.

Agreed.

> Benedikt added some functions to libxfce4util to find localized
> configuration files. I'd like to implement that for the panel and the
> desktop menu (the panel has its own implementation now). This is not a
> very big change and no string changes are involved so I think we can
> safely add that after the first beta.
>
> One additional difficulty with the above roadmap is that I will be on
> vacation from 11 June to 26 June. So, I won't be able to help out with
> bug fixing and documentation in that period.
>
> I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I'll try to find some time to work on xffm documentation, which should
be ready for the beta release.

Edscott