feature request: menu on mouseclick WITHOUT xfdesktop

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Tue May 13 20:20:35 CEST 2003

-- Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote
(on Tuesday, 13 May 2003, 08:56 AM +0530):

> On Mon, 12 May 2003 15:50:40 -0400, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:
>
> > A few requests, however (I hope I'm not slipping them in too late
> > today!):
> >
> > 1. xfdesktop allows you to click on the root window to get a menu that
> >    contains info from the panel launchers. ROX passes button-2 clicks
> >    to the root window already, and can be optionally configured to
> >    pass all clicks to it. I was wondering if xfce4 could be configured
> >    to display the menu *without* having xfdesktop also running?
> >
> >    On a related note, could the menu itself be made a separate program
> >    (maybe 'xfmenu')?  I could then fire it up from a keybinding, which
> >    would be *very* handy! (Actually, if this is easier to implement,
> >    this would be all I really need!)
>
> No. :-)
>
> You seem to be asking for xfdeskmenu, which is now obsolete. I'm not
> sure if you can still get it out of CVS, because it has been put into
> the attic. It was pretty buggy.
>
> It was based on deskmenu by Ken Lynch. That is (AFAIK) unmaintained now.
> But you could try it out. I believe that there are some other forks of
> it that are under active development though. You'll  have to google for
> them.

Thanks for pointing out deskmenu! Its currently being used in oroborus,
and I believe they've taken over maintenance of it. Debian has a
standalone package for it, and I was able to install it with no trouble
whatsoever. Now if I can only figure out how to refer to my Windows keys
in epist, I'll be all set... ;-)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew at weierophinney.net