website addition: themes

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Mon May 12 19:10:21 CEST 2003

-- Francois Le Clainche <fleclainche at wanadoo.fr> wrote
(on Monday, 12 May 2003, 06:44 PM +0200):
> Le lundi 12 mai 2003 ? 11:40, Matthew Weier OPhinney a ?crit:
> > With the recent removal of the majority of the themes from the main
> > xfwm4 package and addition of the xfce4-extras/xfwm4-themes package, I
> > have a request for the person developing the new xfwm4 website (laurent?
> > I can't remember): An additional page for themes, with a
> > thumbnail/screenshot of a window and the panel, to show what the theme
> > looks like in action. This would give a nice way to preview a theme
> > without necessarily installing *all* the themes in the package.
>
> Yes, and it's in that spirit that I've recently created a separated page
> for xfce4-extras :
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/flc.web/fun/xfce/en/extras.html
>
> It's aimed to receive extras components description, xfwm4 themes included.
> Its content is of course to be supplemented.
>
> Tell me if it's not what you meant. Maybe this page should be reachable
> directly from the main menu of the homepage ?

Excellent -- exactly that sort of thing. I'm thinking, however, with the
sheer number of themes currently available, that it would make sense to
move themes to a new set of pages linked from there (possibly a 'See
more...' link) so that visitors can look through 5, 10, 20 at a time.
It may be easiest to pull them in via a database -- but that's a call
for you to make.

> For the moment, I'm not adding anything new to the website, but working
> on an independant css style sheet that will allow a cleaner and more
> readable html code for translators. This style sheet is almost finished,
> (but not online), but is posing problems with old 4.X generation browsers,
> so it requires to be "reduced"; that's what I will be working on
> tonight.

Let me know if you need any help; I've had done a significant amount of
work with CSS hacks getting 4.x browsers to degrade the display
gracefully.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew at weierophinney.net