libtool version and build problems on mips/mipsel

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon May 12 11:07:17 CEST 2003

On Mon, 12, May 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > Hey Jasper,
> >
> > > I need your opinion on this debian bug:
> > >
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=190232
> > >
> > > It appears that building on mips and mipsel architectures requires a
> > > higher libtool version.
> > >
> > > Since I never had a problem with any libtool version, I'm all for
> > > upgrading, but I have no clue about compatibility with other
> > > platforms.
> > >
> > > So, what's your opinion on this?
> >
> > It looks like a Linux/mips-only problem. There are only a few MIPS
> > machines out there running Linux. Most of those nice machines run
> > other Operating systems which do not have the problem mentioned above,
> > so I think it's ok to stay with the old libtool version and let those
> > people with a Linux/mips machine run autogen.sh with the required
> > libtool/autotools versions.
> >

> hmm, does this mean the patched libtool version you posted doesn't work?

Oh. No, it works fine (atleast if the solution on the debian bug report is
right). The above mail was my first reply. Looks like it got delayed for
2 days, forget about it, we have the patched libtool now.

> And, Martin, does it pose much problems for the Debian build system to
> have to use autogen.sh for mips/mipsel? Also, does an issue like this
> block the inclusion of XFce4 in Debian?

I'm not a debian package maintainer, but its really easy to have this fixed
from a maintainers point of view, since its a simple patch to configure, and
thats really no problem, no matter whether you maintain a debian package, a
ports/pkgsrc entry or whatever package system you can imagine.

> 	Jasper

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/