libtool version and build problems on mips/mipsel

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at student.uni-siegen.de
Sat May 10 11:29:53 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 10:37, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Benedikt,

Hey Jasper,

> I need your opinion on this debian bug:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=190232
>
> It appears that building on mips and mipsel architectures requires a
> higher libtool version.
>
> Since I never had a problem with any libtool version, I'm all for
> upgrading, but I have no clue about compatibility with other platforms.
>
> So, what's your opinion on this?

It looks like a Linux/mips-only problem. There are only a few MIPS
machines out there running Linux. Most of those nice machines run other
Operating systems which do not have the problem mentioned above, so I
think it's ok to stay with the old libtool version and let those people
with a Linux/mips machine run autogen.sh with the required
libtool/autotools versions.

Just to get this clear: I'm not against Linux/mips-people :-). Its just,
that newer libtool versions are known to introduce a bunch of annoying
problems on various architectures (esp. with some link editors), that
are really hard to track down.

> 	Jasper

Benedikt

--