Development Roadmap

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Mon May 12 08:38:32 CEST 2003

Hey Botsie,

Good call, we need some more discipline to our release process.

On 12 May 2003 07:29:18 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi Botsie,
>
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 06:39, Biju Chacko wrote:
> > However, I am concerned with the state of our feature freeze. We
> > seemed to have capped the addition of major features but minor
> > features are still being added.
>
> Right. And this is where bugs are usually intriduced, that's why I'm
> against any new addition if not proven to have very low impact on
> existing code.
>
> > What do you say, we put up some hard deadlines? I propose the
> > following roadmap:
> >
> > 12 May: Last Call for Feature requests.
>
> Call? No need to call IMHO.

How about a call for no more feature requests? ;-)

> > 15 May: Separate Feature requests into: For 4.0, For 4.2, Rejected.
>
> Agree.
>
> > 31 May: Feature Freeze
>
> Why wait 2 weeks?
>
> > 15 June: XFce4-BETA-1 (Announcement on fm,lwn,osnews etc)
> > (Translation Freeze)
>
> If you remove the 15 days, you end up => 31 May.

Agreed.

> > 15-30 June: Additional Beta releases as required.
>
> Here I would take a bit longer.
>
> > 30 June: XFce4-RC1 (Announcement on fm,lwn,osnews etc)
> > (Documentation Freeze)
>
> Ok.
>
> > 30 June-15 July: Additional Release Candidates as required.
>
> Ok. Might slip a bit.
>
> > 15 July: XFce4-RELEASE
>
> 16 July: Celebrate :)

Is this smart for your French calendar? 14 July -> party, 15 -> work
hard, 16 -> party ;-)

> > Olivier, is this too optimistic? Or too stretched out?
>
> Sound optimisitc but doable.

Agreed.

	Jasper

PS
It would be awesome if we could have the new website up and running on
the release date.