Module versioning

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue May 6 08:22:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003 08:57:13 +0530
Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2003 14:05:23 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> > Ok, we should do something about this versioning madness:
>
> We need to come up with more consistent module names too. I'd suggest
> something like:
>
> xfce4-foo-[ver]
>
> So that people will be able to do something like:
>
> $ rpm -ivh xfce4*
>
> or
>
> $ apt-get install xfce4*
>
> I don't know if we need to rename the applications and libraries too,
> but the package names badly need to be rationalised.

Good point. I thought we might be able to do that when (if?) we move the
sources from xfce-devel to their final location (xfce4?). I'd vote for
this naming scheme:

xfce4-<something>
libxfce4-<something>

At least for the directory names and package names. For actual binary
and lib names it may be too much trouble.

	Jasper