GTK version question

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sat May 3 09:28:44 CEST 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003 08:14:57 +0530
Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2003 11:53:06 -0600 (GMT), Mark Russell wrote:
>
> > Is XFce 4 dependent on the 2.2.x branch of GTK or is 2.0.x
> > sufficient?
> >  Also are there plans to change this?
>
> 2.0.x is fine -- I'm running that.

Umm, yeah, that is actually a very good question. Until now 2.0 has
always been sufficient, but the recent additions of the status icon
systray stuff in libxfcegui4 depend on features from gtk 2.2. If there
really is a strong demand for 2.0 compatibility we have to think of a
way to have a conditional compilation. At the moment I'm afraid the CVS
requires gtk 2.2.

I would like to hear more opinions on this. I thought it would be
alright to depend on gtk 2.2, since it's been out for a while and by the
time xfce4 comes out most people should have it or be able to obtain it
easily.

	Jasper