System tray completed

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri May 2 11:49:20 CEST 2003

On Thu, 01, May 2003, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2003 19:28:33 +0200
> Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> > > Speaking of the system tray, whenever I start XFce4 or go
> > > to it's preferences, I get a dialogue box telling me a
> > > system tray is already running and to continue will grab
> > > all the icons, or something like that. Only I don't ever
> > > see anything in my system tray. Am I missing something or
> > > doing something wrong?
> >
> > Thats the xfce4-systray plugin telling you that theres already a
> > system tray running (the one in the taskbar). Toby maintaines the
> > systray plugin.
> >
> > Toby, maybe you should popup the dialog only once, and save the
> > answer to a variable, or something like that.
> >
> > And Jasper: We should really change the panel API, so that plugins
> > are notified when they're put into the panel.
> >

> Right, as I said in an e-mail earlier, with the current panel design I
> don't see how it is possible to correctly fix it. I'm afraid the systray
> plugin is simply exposing a design limitation that can only be solved by
> some major reworking of the way the panel handles plugins, especially
> adding and editing them.
>
> So, this is all 4.1 stuff IMO. Perhaps we can think of a hack to
> work around the worst annoyances, but the panel is simply not ready for
> plugins that require uniqueness.
>
> I will be asking for suggestions and comments on the panel design if I
> get around to writing something up. Some things are in my TODO file in
> CVS, but there are more. Things I'm considering:
>
> * panel items become widgets derived from GtkEventBox probably, with
>   perhaps a signal for when they are added to / removed from the panel
>   and an interface with virtual functions for the plugins to fill in.
>   - would be nice to provide a simple interface to save settings to hide
>     the xml stuff.

ACK. The xml stuff needs to be hidden from the panel plugins.

> * Allow more than one panel. Probably using an existing panel
>   process. This would allow for example a panel with monitors (clock
>   mailcheck, whatever) that's always visible and a panel with launchers
>   set to autohide. This will have big consequences for the way we can
>   use the settings manager, though.

So we'll have a second gnome-panel :-)

> Anyway, these are all just random thoughts running through my head and
> only when doing the coding will we find out what works best. As I said,
> all 4.1 stuff.

Yes. But another important point to note:

	* Load plugins on demand, instead of loading all plugins on startup.

> Now, we should really focus on getting a release out. That means bug
> fixing, doc writing, and lots of testing.

BTW: I think we should move the docs into a separate package, something
like xfce4-user-guide.

> 	Jasper

Benedikt

--