xffm bugfixes

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Mon Mar 31 21:34:30 CEST 2003

On 31 Mar 2003 10:13:58 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> El lun, 31-03-2003 a las 02:52, Benedikt Meurer escribió:
> > On Sun, 30, Mar 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> >
> > > - Autotype functions now include binary package management:
> > >    * Install (rpm, deb, FreeBSD.tgz)
> > >    * Update (rpm, FreeBSD.tgz)
> > >    * Description (rpm, FreeBSD.tgz)
> > >    * List contents (rpm, FreeBSD.tgz)
> > >    (I dunno the instructions to do update, description and list for dpkg
> > > :-|)
> >
> > Hm, two things:
> >
> > 	a) I don't think, that a filemanager should do the job of a
> > 	   package manager.
>
> I could not agree with you more. Xffm does not do the job of a package
> manager (although it may look like it).
>
> > 	b) If you use standard pkg_{add,info,delete} than everything
> > 	   will work out of the box on Open/NetBSD too.
> > 	   (else I'll look at that tonight)
>
> Precisely. Xffm is just a means to execute them. If you don't want xffm
> to support running pkg_add, just remove pkg_add from your path and
> support will dissappear from xffm.

Hmm, just wondering, could support be added to use sudo to run such things as pkg_add, etc.? I don't want to run xffm as root as that is kind of insecure with X programs.

Otherwise I do think xffm is coming along very nicely. There really is nothing that bothers me with it anymore =).

Reagards,
Joakim