xffm bugfixes

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Mar 31 19:12:46 CEST 2003

On Mon, 31, Mar 2003, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> > > Hm, two things:
> > >
> > > 	a) I don't think, that a filemanager should do the job of a
> > > 	   package manager.
> >
> > Just to get that clear: I thought XFce4 should follow the Unix philosophy
> > of tools. But xffm is going to be an all-in-one monster application like
> > other filemanagers did too.
>
> No. Wrong again. You have a murky picture of xffm.  Just to make things
> clear, xffm does four things: list, move, copy, and execute files. The
> support for pkg_add is the same as that which exists for rpm and dpkg in
> xftree (which is by no means is a fm monster). Support for installing
> with pkg_add is exactly one line of code:
> {".tgz","pkg_add",N_("Install Package"),NULL,0},
>
> Xffm follows the pythagorean philosophy: "Never pick up what has already
> fallen". Filemanagers only job should be to provide an easy GUI access
> to all files (including executables). The executable files rpm, dpkg,
> pkg_add, pkg_update, pkg_info are no different than other executables
> like gimp, gv, abiword, oowriter, xdvi, and gvim, which, by the way, are
> also supported by xffm. Again, if support is not desired for any
> supported executable, it should not be installed. If it is not
> installed, xffm will not support it. For example, to mount/unmount, xffm
> just executes the unix tool "mount".

Ok, seems I got it wrong.

> > > 	b) If you use standard pkg_{add,info,delete} than everything
> > > 	   will work out of the box on Open/NetBSD too.
> > > 	   (else I'll look at that tonight)
> >
> > And with any other system using pkg tools too, of course :)
>
> Support should work fine in xffm for Open/NetBSD, as long as pkg_add,
> pkg_update and pkg_info are installed.

Seems it does not work well on NetBSD. Going to have a look at that.

Besides that: You're using some errno's (ECANCELED and ENOTSUP) throughout
the xffm code, that are not supported by some plattforms. I corrected that.
You should stay with the portable errno's.

> Edscott

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer