xfwm4 status [WAS Re: Status of xfce 4]

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Mar 30 10:53:16 CEST 2003

On 29 Mar 2003 23:08:56 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 15:50, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > * xfwm4: ready
> >

> While "ready" might be everybody's feeling, I just spent quite a few
> nights reimplementing focus management.
>
> And, well, focus management in a window manager is somehow really part
> of the "core"...
>
> People might think that was not a good time for doing so, breaking
> code that was untouched for months, fairly close to a release, but
> that code was not particularly nice. I think the new one a lot better.
> I prefer breaking things that need to be break *before* rather than
> after the release....

He-he. Well, you're the boss ;-)

> So, in a nutshell, I would like people to join my efforts in stressing
> xfwm4 a bit more before we can claim it's "ready".

As always it seems to work just fine. I have two observations that also
were present before:

* In focus-follows-mouse mode, when you change workspaces with the
  keyboard the window on the new workspace where the mouse pointer is
  should get the focus, I think. As it works now the window that
  previously had focus on that workspace is focussed. Perhaps it should
  even work like that in all focus modes?

* xmms sticky state. Again ;-) This may very well be an xmms issue. It
  works, but not on startup. I have to remove and readd the sticky state
  to make it work. Any ideas?

Anyway, I still say it's ready for a 4.0 release.

	Jasper